Monday, August 01, 2005

Rainy Weekend

After telling Marley repeatedly all week that we would be going to a pool party at Sarah's grandmother's on Friday, it rains. It wasn't just a little shower either. It was a downpour that lasted and lasted and lasted. I picked Marley and Laney up from daycare in the pouring rain, got them out of the car in the rain, and took them to the party in the rain. It was still raining when we left. There's an upside to this because I was a little concerned due to the depth of the pool there. It's a good foot and a half deeper than Jr.'s and Marley's convinced that she can touch bottom in whatever pool she comes across. I was all set to fight with her over waterwings but, the rain made it a non-issue.

Anyway, we opened the door to find poor Sarah (my niece) in her bathing suit just hoping for a break from the rain. She cheered up a good bit when everyone arrived and all the kids were playing together. But she was a little disappointed I think.

I'm sure my brother was a little upset about the rain, mainly because he was the grill man for this event. He came in about an hour after we got there, soaked. We enjoyed the hamburgers and hot dogs. This was Sarah's 4th birthday.

We woke up Saturday morning to overcast skies. It didn't rain until late in the day though. We went shopping Saturday night and spent probably more than we should have.

Marley decided she wanted to go in big-church with us this Sunday. I picked her up from the nursery after Sunday School and we set out on a grand adventure. She wiggled and talked and she cried when I carried her out during one of the prayers. I had a conference with her in the back hallway and took her back in only to have to leave again. We ended up in the nursery again. I guess we'll have to try that another time hopefully waaaaaaay in the future.

Did I mention that it was raining "pitchforks and plowhandles" by the time church was over? Lewis made a run for the car, drove under the shelter and we loaded up the girls to go home. We stopped at a gas station so I could get something for the pounding headache I had. I ran in and when I came out I paused at the edge of the shelter at the station to see if he would come back and pick me up. Just as I decided to make a run for it, he saw me and started to turn around. Needless to say, there I was chasing the car around the parking lot in the pouring rain. Yeah, go ahead and laugh. It's funny now.

All in all, it was not a bad weekend--just a little wet.

P. S.--Laney has learned to say, "Wuv you" when she hugs me. Sigh . . .

4 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

Pitchforks and plowhandles huh?

I always referred to it as raining cats and dogs. You know it is raining cats and dogs when you step in a poodle.

7:15 PM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

The phrase is borrowed from Tug, but it's my very favorite. Can you imagine going out in a storm like that? Yikes!

5:58 AM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Actually I got the phrase from the old "Bullwinkle and Rocky" cartoon when I was little.

I would love to claim credit for it myself, but that is where it came from.

I miss that show. It was absolutely great.

7:23 AM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

I always get a little homesick when you write posts like this.

Its amazing how life can scatter families across the country, but never really seperate them.

Tell everyone that we love them and miss them.

Happy Birthday Sarah!!

7:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home