Wednesday, July 13, 2005

The Result of Honesty

Mark, over at www.leftfieldperspectives.blogspot.com, posed an interesting question in his post yesterday. He asked how different the world would be if politicians always upheld the truth. Well, I have to say, I'm having a hard time with this one. But I'll try.

First, I believe that our major difference would be in the ability to trust the motives of those in public office. There would be none of this argument about whether the president lied to us about his motives for the war, or for anything else he does. Now, who knows if there would even be a war under these conditions. If we could have trusted Saddam in the first place, we never would have had to go there. (I'm not sure if Mark's query applies to other nations as well though). I'm pretty sure that honesty could have prevented a great number of wars in history, but I'm not sure how to support that. I'd have to do more research than my tired brain has time for.

I'm not even sure that the president would be president. I'm not sure that the last hundred years of presidents would be the same. I'm convinced that most politicians (at least during my lifetime) have had something to hide at one time or another that would have prevented their election. Of course, if you remove the capacity for lies, you also remove the ability to mud-sling. If honesty is our policy, there is nothing to hide, right? If it's all on the table, no one can really call you on it.

This also would take care of all scandals. That's it. No Monica Lewinsky. No Watergate. No wondering about Ted Kennedy's responsibility in the death of his secretary. No wondering if President Kennedy slept with Marilyn Monroe. This list is endless.

Congress would be more effective, because there would be less time spent covering their own behinds and making themselves look good. There would be less division between the parties because political gain would not be the motivation of those in power. After all, no one could tell the public that world domination was their aim and still get elected, right? We would have a government that truly cared for and looked out for the needs and freedoms of the people they served. Who can really say how much difference that would make?

Of course, I could be wrong. This kind of question can go either way. Honesty could save us, or it could usher in the apocalypse. It's impossible to tell. It kind of reminds me of those science fiction movies where the hero goes back in time. You know the scenario-- you move one rock in the past and the future is forever altered.

6 Comments:

Blogger tugboatcapn said...

One reason that I didn't comment on this subject on Mark's blog any more than I did is that I can't wrap my little bird brain around this concept...
I will say that the major mistake that former President Clinton made in the Lewinski scandal was that he didn't say "Yeah, I did it. And it was GOOD TOO! Now let's get on with the business of governing this country!"
It would have all gone away.
I'm afraid that Americans can no longer handle the truth...

6:11 PM  
Blogger Mark said...

Dang Daffy. It was just a passing thought

7:27 PM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

You asked, Mark. I had to address it further due to the cop-out comment you made. It didn't sound like a passing thought to me.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Mark said...

Daff, it really was. It just suddenly crossed my mind when Scott Mclelland was answering (or more accurately, not answering)questions from the scandal hungry media.
Sorry about the cop out comment. I made that respectfully. I hope you understand.

6:07 AM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

Okay. I'll let it go.

9:57 AM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Oh, come on, Mark!
You started this...
You have to be very careful when you give Daffy serious subjects to contemplate. I trained her myself, I KNOW...

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home