Thursday, September 22, 2005

Conflict

Yesterday a young lady stopped by the office whom I had not seen in quite awhile. About three years ago, while she was pregnant with her second child, this lady's husband left her for another woman and stole a substantial sum of money from his parents and other sources. Her husband served jail time and has since married his mistress and lives elsewhere. He has nothing to do with his daughters.

Like I said, this was the first time I had seen her in quite awhile. She's a very tall, very thin lady and quite attractive. My immediate thought was, "Why would he leave her? She's so thin." Now, why would I think like that? As I said, he was a thief, and a liar and a lot of other things. But in the back of my mind, I'm blaming the breakdown of their relationship on something like size. That's just twisted.

The more I've thought about the more I realize that this is a conditioned response I'm having. But I don't really know where it's coming from. I mean, I know that happiness has nothing to do with size and that relationships are not all based on physical appearance. But in the back of my mind there is still a small voice that seems to say that if you are not thin, you are not lovable.

I'm not a large person. I'm all of 5'3" and weigh about 145 pounds. The heaviest I've ever been was when I was pregnant. When I checked in at the hospital (both times) I weighed 182 pounds. Heaviest weight I've maintained without being pregnant was about 155 pounds. The lightest I've ever been was in college. I weighed 132 pounds when I was dating my college boyfriend, and lost about 5 more pounds when he dumped me. So weight has never been a real struggle for me. But I love food, so I know that someday it may be.

That being said, this is a real conflict that I think this way. Because, if I were to really pack on the weight, this would lead me to think that Lewis would have every right to leave me. This also shows that somewhere deep down inside, I have a prejudice against fat people. It also makes me wonder how I would feel if one of my girls were to struggle with her weight.

I guess I need to pray about this attitude. I'm sure part of this has come from the size-obsessed society in which we live. But that's no excuse. People are who they are, regardless of what their bodies look like.

Until next time. . .

3 Comments:

Blogger Mark said...

My son calls me fat.

I answer, "Yeah, I'm fat, but you're ugly, and I can diet."

10:54 AM  
Blogger tugboatcapn said...

An overweight man was walking out of the shower at the gym, when another patron exclaimed, "Man you're FAT! How long has it been since you've seen your (male appendage)?"

"I dunno...Several years?"

"Well," said the obnoxious patron, "Maybe you should diet..."

"What color is it now?" asked the overweight man.

Fat and ugly is a state of mind, and insecurity is far more unattractive than fat any day of the week.
No matter HOW big you get, Daffy, don't you EVER let anyone pick on you about your weight!

(I'm sorry, that was just TOO easy. I AM your big brother, after all...)

10:53 PM  
Blogger Lori said...

all of us women have this in our heads...it is all around us! i worry about my two girls as well. not about them not liking themselves...because they know god made them the way they are. i just dont want other people to influence them, make fun of them and hurt their feelings. i think that is a fear of all moms though!
i agree with garza...healthy is good....and soo is food...balance is the key. i will pray for you..and us all to not let this thinking take us over.

6:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home