Wednesday, March 11, 2009

"Daddy" Is A Beautiful Word

According to the reporter on the radio this afternoon, the rate of out-of-wedlock births in America is 38%. This figure is rising and will continue to rise because statistics show that single mothers often begat the same. We are locked into a downward spiral. Futhermore, more and more women are choosing this lifestyle. Through sperm donors, women are offered the option of having children without ever having to meet or cultivate a successful relationship with a man. This poses a problem--a really big one.

I could sit here and tell you a bunch of statistics about the crime rates, low grades, and general problems of children born into this kind of situation. However, what I really want to focus on is the sad fact that millions of children born in this country will never know the kind of relationship a father can give them.

I grew up with a wonderful father. My daddy is as good a man as you could ever find. He has always taken care of me, taught me things, and worried about me. He loves me unconditionally and if he knows of something I need that he can provide, I don't even have to ask. That's a great person to have in your corner. Having him to back me up all my life has given me a kind of confidence and courage I can't even begin to describe. I have two older brothers and they too enjoy a great relationship with him. He's there for us and we know it.

Of course, because of the relationship I have with Daddy, and because of the marriage my parents have, I have always had a model of what a good relationship should be. Hence, my marriage is also a very strong and beautiful thing. I am thankful everyday that the kind of perserverance that makes a marriage last 45 years and counting is what I've seen modeled all my life.

My husband is also a wonderful father. He's been completely over the moon about our girls ever since before they were born. When I was expecting Marley, he was convinced we were having a boy. He's never complained. In fact, he's never mentioned having a boy again since she was born. He's always thinking of Marley and Laney and doing things for them. (Though he gives them too much candy.)

And they love him.

And they always will.

Now, I understand that there are fathers that abuse, neglect and even abandon their children. I know that happens sometimes. But the next time you read about an abused child in the newspaper or on the web, notice that the offender is about 10 times more likely to be a step-father or boyfriend of the child's mother than the natural father of the child. It takes a very warped and twisted, evil person to harm his own child.

God meant for children to have fathers. That's why they exist in the first place. Furthermore, children learn from their parents and especially from their fathers what love is like, and what God is like. The more we remove fathers from the process of raising children, the less love they will experience.

It just goes to show how lost we get when we stray from God's path. As my brother would say, "Where are we going? And why are we in this handbasket?"

Now, call your dad and tell him you love him.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home