Monday, May 22, 2006

Seven Years

On this day, seven years ago, I galloped down the aisle with my poor sad daddy in tow and pledged my eternal troth to my husband--for better, for worse, for poorer and poorer (we haven't experienced the richer part), in sickness and in health, etc.

At this point in our lives, we have acquired a beagle named "Snoopy," a single-wide mobile home, a 1995 Chevy Truck and a 1999 Pontiac Grand Am, several guitars, a piano, a computer that doesn't work, a DVD player and a VCR, a flat-screen television, and tickets to the Coca-Cola 600 next weekend. But that's just stuff.

We also have two beautiful children.

We had three and a half beautiful years together before the kids were born. We slept late, stayed out late, had enough money to pay the bills and (gasp!) still buy other things. We kept the house reasonably clean.

We have had three and a half busy years since the kids were born. We had a very tough year after Laney was born. Too much to do, to little time or sleep to work with. We've had some very hard financial times in the past couple of years. We hope we're on the way out of that tunnel.

All in all, it's been a great adventure so far. I'm so grateful for the man that Lewis is and all that he does to make our lives secure and happy. I'm blessed to have someone I can laugh with even when times are hard. And I'm looking forward to the next 100 years with him.

Isn't love grand?

3 Comments:

Blogger tugboatcapn said...

Yep, it is.

"At this point in our lives, we have acquired two beautiful children,...But that's just stuff."

Huh?

You have also gotten rid of a 1996? Chevy Cavalier, a 1996 Camaro, a 1989 GMC S-15, and a newer S-10, I'm not sure about the year.

You have moved out of one single-wide trailer into another single-wide trailer, two miles from the first one.

What a long, strange trip it's been...

Who could have guessed that when Lewis first looked deep into your eyes, and spoke the first words he ever said to you...("How's it hangin'?") that you two would end up here? (Or..there, from my perspective...)

Do you have any idea how long it took me to talk him into walking over to you and talking to you the first time?

Even though you and Lewis have set a beautiful example for anyone who wants to have a good, happy Marriage, and I have never regretted getting out of the way and finally letting you two meet, YOU are the Yoko Ono of "Force of Habit", and I have no doubt that had Lewis never met you, he would be a rich, famous guitar player, getting a different hot chick every night, instead of the same hot chick every night. (Or three times a week, or once a month, or twice a year, whatever your schedule is...I don't really want to know...)

Anyway...

Congratulations!!

Happy Anniversary!!

5:27 PM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

Okay, so MOST of it is just stuff. I should have proofed that more closely.

Yeah, it was a 1996 Cavalier, and I think it was a 1996 S-10. I'll ask Lewis.

I don't know how long it took you to get him to walk over and talk to me. But I remember that it seemed to take forever for you to introduce us.

The funny thing is, it's like I knew from the very first that something big was happening when I met him. I was so excited when he called the next day (I didn't know you had given him my number and I wasn't sure if I'd ever see him again.)

If Force of Habit (in the form we knew it) had ever become a driving force in the music world, I would have been astounded. Not that you and Lewis were not talented enough, but the other links in that chain were very weak. Lewis walked away from that situation mostly because no one was listening to him. I had a minor role in the overall scheme of things. However, I know that there are some that will always say I was the reason. If I was, it was because the rest of the band (you excluded) had no idea where their priorities should be. I did insist, and still do, that if Lewis and I were going to be together our relationship had to come before any other outside activity. If the rest of those guys had the same priorities, maybe they wouldn't have had to worry so much about what their wives were doing while they were not at home.

And if he had become a successful guitarist and had a different hot chick every night, I like to think that he would still be hoping that I would come along. That his life without me would be unsatisfying no matter what he was doing. I know mine would be awful without him.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

I changed it.

6:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home