Friday, November 11, 2005

Why Abortion is Wrong

I wrote a post a long while back on my beliefs about abortion. At the time, I think the reason the issue had come to mind was a debate in the local paper about the availability of the RU486 abortion pill and whether pharmacists should be able to deny prescriptions for that pill.

But since then, I've thought alot about another post I read on the same subject. In the post I read, (it's been a long time, so I don't remember where) the person writing described a scenario in which a young woman had an abortion while she was very young because she was unable to financially or emotionally support the child she was carrying. The post then described what a caring and wonderful mother this young lady became when she did have children. It also went on to tell how she was actually a good mother for aborting the first child because aborting was in effect protecting this child from a bad situation.

Let's get this straight--She got pregnant at a time in her life when she was neither emotionally or financially ready to support a child. Then she went to abortion doctor and had her baby killed so that she would not have to handle the burden of raising him/her or finding someone to adopt him/her. And she's a GOOD mother?

At the time I read this, I was simply flabbergasted. I wasn't sure how to even address this. But yesterday I started to realize why abortion is so wrong, in every sense and in every scenario.

Take a look at the picture of my kids above. Notice how different they are.

Marley is destined to be tall and thin. Laney will probably always be a little on the shorter, rounder side. Laney is strawberry blonde. Her hair is just now beginning to curl in the back. Marley's hair is brown and for the most part it is straight. When they were babies, Marley's hair stuck straight up from the time she was about four months old until after she started walking, while Laney's always looked like it had just been combed. Marley is dark-skinned and Laney is fair.

Their personalities are like that too. Marley is compliant and sweet. She likes quiet activities like coloring and playing with play-doh. Laney is fiesty. She loves to talk. The more destructive and messy an activity the better she likes it.

See the reason why abortion is so wrong, is because my kids are so different. Each child conceived is an individual. Each child aborted is an individual's life cut short. The young lady in the scenario I described did not just put off the birth of her first child to a later date. She killed her first child and is now raising her second. She will never know that first child. She will never know if he/she had blonde hair or black hair. She will never know what that child's personality is like. She's missed out on the joy of knowing that person, or allowing some other willing couple to know that person. Yes, she would have had to struggle to raise that child. But raising children is never easy. We'll never know if she aborted a person who would have done something great, like cure cancer, or nothing very remarkable at all, except bring more individuals into the world.

Each child aborted is a person missing from the world. It does not matter how that child was conceived. It only matters that it was conceived. God makes children and as they told me when I was little, He doesn't make mistakes.

3 Comments:

Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Powerfully put.

I've been a bit moderate in my stance on abortion. I think the crux of the issue is on when you believe human consciousness begins.

I find pro-choice to be a misnomer, for the most part. How can you believe abortion is wrong, and also believe the choice is left up to the mother? If you believe abortion is wrong because the unborn is a living soul, and yet stand aside and do nothing to protect it, isn't that endorsing murder?

I'll also add this: I am adopted. I have no idea what the circumstances were around my adoption. Some people say, they don't believe in abortion, but will make a special exception in the case of rape. I think, "what if that's what the circumstance was with my biological mom?" That she was raped? If she had an abortion rather than put me up for adoption, I wouldn't be here.

It might be painful to the mother to see her child and be reminded of a rapist; but the child is innocent of any wrong-doing and should not be another victim for a wrong done.

For me, the question is: when does life begin?

12:39 PM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

Thanks Timothy. I appreciate you ability to apologize. I value our little blog-friendship.

About the suffering, you make an excellent point. My friend at work is always telling me that we should think of the responsibilities we have as privileges, not burdens. There is nothing on this earth, no blessing God gives us, that can compare with loving and raising a child.

5:43 AM  
Blogger Daffy76 said...

Wordsmith, where do I begin? When I first found out I was pregnant with Laney, I was about six weeks along. About a week later, I started bleeding and went to my doctor. I was afraid I was going to lose her. My doctor did an ultrasound and though you couldn't make out the shape of a baby yet, there was this blinking light. That light was Laney's heartbeat--at seven weeks!

If life does not begin at conception, it certainly has begun before birth. Even if you don't believe a child is alive in the womb until it starts to move, or until it looks like a child, you can't deny that left alone it will become a person.

God bless your mother for allowing you to have life, no matter what circumstances resulted in your conception. She made a good choice.

6:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home